As you open your cupboard looking for an easy and satisfying meal, your eyes glance over the usual options but nothing sparks inspiration. You crave something warm, comforting yet exciting. Homemade pizza immediately comes to mind, but you don’t want the hassle of heating up the oven and dealing with messy pans. Luckily, your trusty toaster oven can come to the rescue. Discover how you can easily make delicious homemade pizza using your toaster oven. With a few basic ingredients and in less than 30 minutes, you’ll be enjoying a crispy, bubbly pizza made just the way you like it. Keep reading for simple step-by-step recipes and tips to make mouthwatering pizzas in your toaster oven.
- Why Make Pizza in a Toaster Oven?
- Choosing the Right Toaster Oven for Pizza
- Perfect Toaster Oven Pizza Dough
- Classic Toaster Oven Pepperoni Pizza
- BBQ Chicken Toaster Oven Pizza
- White Garlic Toaster Oven Pizza
- Mushroom and Spinach Toaster Oven Pizza
- Prosciutto and Fig Toaster Oven Pizza
- Toaster Oven Pizza FAQs: Get Your Questions Answered
How to Make the Perfect Toaster Oven Pizza
To make perfect pizza in your toaster oven, follow these steps:
Ensure you are using a high quality toaster oven that can reach at least 450 F. For the best results, look for an oven with a built-in pizza stone or one that can accommodate a baking stone. A stone will help absorb and distribute the heat evenly to crisp the crust.
Select a dough that is specifically meant for baking in a toaster oven. Pre-made dough from your local pizzeria or grocery store will work well. Alternatively, you can make your own using a simple recipe of flour, yeast, salt, sugar, olive oil and warm water. Let the dough sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes to rise before shaping into a circle on a floured surface.
Choose a flavorful sauce and your favorite toppings, but do not overtop the pizza. With a smaller oven cavity, overloading the pizza with too many ingredients can make it difficult to cook evenly and prevent the crust from crisping.
Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper on top of the pizza stone. Spread the sauce, then add cheese and your selected toppings.
Bake the pizza in a preheated 450 F oven for 10-15 minutes, checking frequently, until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Cooking time can vary depending on the oven and amount of toppings.
Allow the pizza to cool for 2 to 3 minutes, then slice and enjoy your homemade toaster oven pizza! With the right technique and a few simple ingredients, you can make a delicious pizza without turning on your conventional oven.
Why Make Pizza in a Toaster Oven?
There are several benefits to making pizza in a toaster oven versus a conventional oven. First, toaster ovens heat up and preheat faster than regular ovens, so you can have your homemade pizza ready in less time. Since toaster ovens are smaller, they are more energy efficient and won’t heat up your entire kitchen.
Toaster ovens also produce crispier crusts. The heating elements are closer to the food, allowing for more direct heat that browns and crisps the crust better. You have more control over the temperature, so you can fine-tune it to get your perfect crust. The smaller cavity also helps the toaster oven recover temperature faster after opening the door, so you won’t lose as much heat.
Using a toaster oven provides more even cooking since the heating elements surround the food. There are no hot or cold spots, so your pizza will be evenly baked all over. The rotating trays or racks in many toaster ovens also help ensure even cooking by moving the food around during the baking process.
Finally, toaster ovens are extremely convenient. You can make a fresh, homemade pizza whenever you want without heating up your regular oven. Most toaster ovens are also small enough to leave on your countertop, so your pizza is always just a press of a button away. Homemade pizza has never been so easy and delicious. Give one of these recipes a try in your toaster oven tonight!
Choosing the Right Toaster Oven for Pizza
When choosing a toaster oven for homemade pizza, there are a few key factors to consider:
The size of the toaster oven is important for fitting a pizza. For a typical homemade pizza, look for a toaster oven that is at least 12 inches wide. Some models are large enough to fit a 12-inch frozen pizza or two personal-sized pizzas at once. A larger size will also allow you to bake a thicker crust.
The wattage impacts how quickly and evenly the pizza will bake. Aim for a toaster oven with at least 1500 watts for properly baking a pizza. More powerful models, around 1800-2200 watts, will heat up faster and maintain a consistent temperature better. This results in a crispier crust and melted toppings.
Multiple cooking functions provide more versatility. Look for a toaster oven with convection baking, pizza, and broil modes. The pizza setting is ideal for homemade pizza and will use the optimal time and temperature. The broil mode is useful for melting the cheese evenly after baking. Convection provides quicker, more even cooking through a fan-assisted heating element.
Rack positions allow you to move the pizza closer to or further from the heating element. Multiple rack positions, at least 3 or more levels, provide more control over how fast the crust and toppings cook. For pizza, use a middle rack position.
A nonstick interior, preferably ceramic, makes it easy to clean up after baking pizza. Grease and melted cheese can stick stubbornly to some interiors, so a nonstick coating is helpful. Ceramic coatings are free from harsh chemicals and naturally nonstick.
With the right size, power, settings, and features, a toaster oven can bake a delicious homemade pizza. By considering these factors, you’ll choose an oven that allows you to easily make mouthwatering pizza in your own kitchen.
Perfect Toaster Oven Pizza Dough
To achieve a perfect toaster oven pizza, the dough is key. When making your own dough, follow these steps carefully to ensure an ideal crust:
For the dough, you will need:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- Combine the warm water, olive oil, and yeast in a bowl. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. This allows the yeast to activate.
- Add the flour, salt, and yeast mixture to a large bowl. Stir to combine, then transfer to a lightly floured surface.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Add flour as needed to prevent sticking. The dough should feel slightly tacky but not sticky.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap, linen or a damp kitchen towel. Let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, 1 to 1 1⁄2 hours.
- Punch down the dough. Knead briefly then roll or stretch the dough into a circle on a floured surface to fit your toaster oven pan.
- Cover and let rise 30 minutes until puffy. Brush dough with olive oil and add your toppings.
- Bake in a preheated 450 F toaster oven, checking frequently, until the crust is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then slice and enjoy your homemade pizza!
Following these guidelines carefully will result in a perfect homemade pizza crust for your toaster oven. Be sure not to overbake the crust, as toaster ovens heat up and cool down quickly. Keep a close eye on your pizza and use your best judgment for when it’s done. With some practice, you’ll be making delicious homemade pizzas in no time!
Classic Toaster Oven Pepperoni Pizza
To make a classic pepperoni pizza in your toaster oven, gather the following ingredients:
-Pizza or bread dough, thawed if frozen
-1/2 cup pizza sauce
-1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
-1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
-1/4 cup sliced pepperoni
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat your toaster oven to 450 F. Place a pizza pan or baking sheet in the toaster oven as it preheats.
- Roll or stretch the dough out into a circle on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness. Transfer to the preheated pizza pan.
- Brush the dough with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon each of the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Spread the pizza sauce over the dough, leaving the outer 1/2 inch bare. Top with the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, distributing evenly. Arrange pepperoni slices over the top.
- Brush the outer edge of the dough with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Bake the pizza in the preheated toaster oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Allow the pizza to cool for 2 minutes, then slice and serve. Enjoy your homemade classic pepperoni pizza fresh out of the toaster oven!
The key to perfect toaster oven pizza is using a moderate temperature, preheating thoroughly, and monitoring closely while baking as toaster ovens can heat unevenly. Rotate the pizza halfway through for even cooking. Your patience will be rewarded with a deliciously baked pizza. Buon appetito!
BBQ Chicken Toaster Oven Pizza
To make BBQ chicken toaster oven pizza, you will need the following ingredients:
-1 (8 ounce) can refrigerated crescent dinner roll dough
-1 cup barbecued chicken, shredded or diced
-1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
-1/2 cup barbeque sauce
- Preheat your toaster oven to 350 F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan or cast iron skillet.
- Unroll the crescent dough and press into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan to form the pizza crust. Press firmly to seal any perforations.
- Spread the barbeque sauce over the dough, leaving the outer 1/2-inch border bare. Top with the shredded chicken and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the preheated toaster oven until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then slice and serve. Enjoy your BBQ chicken toaster oven pizza!
Some tips for perfecting your BBQ chicken toaster oven pizza:
- Use barbecue sauce with a flavor you enjoy, such as hickory smoked or honey chipotle. The sauce will greatly impact the overall flavor of the pizza.
- Add additional toppings such as bell peppers, onions, or pineapple for extra flavor.
- Brush the bare crust border with beaten egg wash or melted butter before baking for a golden, crispy crust.
- Check on your pizza while baking and rotate the pan front to back for even cooking. Broil for 1-2 minutes at the end of baking for bubbly, browned cheese.
- Allowing the pizza to stand for a few minutes before slicing allows it to firm up and makes it easier to cut and serve.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 2 days. Reheat individual slices in the toaster oven until the filling is bubbly.
White Garlic Toaster Oven Pizza
To make a delicious white garlic pizza in your toaster oven, follow these steps:
Gather the ingredients:
- Pizza or bread dough, thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup ricotta or goat cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Prepare the dough according to package directions. Roll or stretch the dough out into a circle on a floured surface to fit your toaster oven tray or stone.
Mix the ricotta, garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes (if using), oregano, basil, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Spread the mixture evenly over the dough, leaving the outer 1/2-inch rim bare.
Place the tray in a preheated 450 F toaster oven. Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Check on the pizza halfway through and rotate the tray if needed for even cooking.
Allow the pizza to cool for 5 minutes, then slice and serve. The white garlic pizza can be garnished with fresh basil, parsley, or lemon zest if desired. Enjoy your homemade pizza!
The key to perfecting pizza in a toaster oven is using a tray designed for high-heat cooking and monitoring the pizza closely as it bakes. Toaster ovens heat up quickly and can burn the crust if left unattended for too long. Baking the pizza in the upper third of the oven will ensure even cooking and the best results.
With the right ingredients and a few minutes of prep time, you can make a delicious homemade white garlic pizza with your toaster oven. Follow these instructions for a simple yet satisfying meal. Your taste buds will thank you!
Mushroom and Spinach Toaster Oven Pizza
To make a delicious Mushroom and Spinach Toaster Oven Pizza, gather the following ingredients:
- 1 pre-made or homemade pizza crust
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (such as cremini, shiitake or portobello)
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your toaster oven to 450 F. Place the pizza crust on a baking sheet or pizza pan and brush with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- In a skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and season with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Spread the mushroom and spinach mixture evenly over the pizza crust. Top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated toaster oven and bake until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Allow pizza to cool slightly, then slice and enjoy your homemade Mushroom and Spinach Toaster Oven Pizza! The earthy mushrooms pair perfectly with the fresh spinach for a healthy and delicious pizza.
• For extra flavor, add crushed garlic, basil or sun-dried tomatoes to the mushroom and spinach.
• Use pre-washed spinach to save time. Squeeze out excess moisture before adding to the pizza.
• Check on your pizza frequently toward the end of baking to ensure the crust does not burn. Toaster ovens can heat unevenly, so rotate the baking sheet halfway through for best results.
• Refrigerate any leftover pizza within 2 hours. Enjoy within 3 to 4 days.
Prosciutto and Fig Toaster Oven Pizza
To make a prosciutto and fig toaster oven pizza, you will need the following ingredients:
-1 pre-made pizza crust (either homemade or store-bought)
-1/4 cup pizza sauce
-1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
-4-6 slices prosciutto
-1/2 cup chopped fresh figs
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
Preheat your toaster oven to 450 F. Place the pizza crust on a baking sheet and spread the pizza sauce evenly over the crust, leaving the outer 1/2 inch bare. Top with 3/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Arrange the prosciutto and figs over the top and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella.
Drizzle and Garnish
Drizzle the pizza with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the rosemary. Transfer the baking sheet to the preheated toaster oven and bake until the crust is golden brown around the edges and the cheese is melted, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Finish and Serve
Remove the pizza from the toaster oven, drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon rosemary. Allow to cool for 2 minutes, then slice and serve. The sweet and savory combination of the prosciutto and figs pairs perfectly with the melted cheese and crisp crust. Enjoy your homemade prosciutto and fig toaster oven pizza!
This recipe combines the classic flavors of pizza in a unique way by adding prosciutto, a dry-cured Italian ham, and fresh figs. The saltiness of the prosciutto complements the subtle sweetness of the figs. Baking the pizza in a toaster oven allows you to make a delicious homemade pizza without having to heat up your regular oven. You can customize this pizza by using your favorite meats, cheeses, and toppings. Homemade pizzas baked in a toaster oven make a great weeknight meal or fun weekend treat.
Toaster Oven Pizza FAQs: Get Your Questions Answered
Toaster ovens are a convenient way to make delicious homemade pizza without heating up your full-size oven. However, toaster ovens do have some differences from regular ovens that are important to keep in mind. Here are some frequently asked questions about making pizza in a toaster oven.
What size pizza can I make?
The size of pizza you can make depends on the interior capacity of your specific toaster oven model. Most standard toaster ovens can accommodate a 6- to 8-inch pizza, which serves 1-2 people. For larger groups, choose a toaster oven with a higher capacity or make multiple small pizzas.
Do I need to preheat the toaster oven?
Yes, it is recommended to preheat your toaster oven before adding the pizza. Preheating helps ensure even cooking and a nicely browned crust. For most toaster ovens, preheat at the maximum temperature setting, typically 450 F, for 3 to 5 minutes before adding your pizza.
How long does it take to cook the pizza?
Cooking time will vary depending on the size and toppings of your pizza. In general, a 6-inch pizza will take 6 to 8 minutes to cook through, while an 8-inch pizza will take 8 to 12 minutes. Check on your pizza starting around the halfway point to see how it’s browning. Rotate the pizza 180 degrees if needed for even cooking. The pizza is done when the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Should I use a pizza stone or pan?
For the best results, use a pizza pan or stone designed for the size of your toaster oven. A pan or stone helps distribute heat evenly to the crust. If you don’t have one, you can place the pizza on a piece of parchment paper on a metal baking sheet or the rack. Make sure the rack is in the center position for the most even cooking.
Do I need to modify the toaster oven settings for pizza?
Some toaster ovens have dedicated pizza or convection bake settings specifically designed for making pizza and other baked goods. If your model has these options, they can provide an easy way to get optimal results. Otherwise, start with a high temperature, around 450 F, and make minor adjustments to the time and temperature as needed based on how your first pizza turns out.
With some experimentation, you’ll be enjoying delicious homemade pizzas from your toaster oven in no time. Let your culinary creativity shine through by trying different sauce flavors and topping combinations. Buon appetito!
As you have seen, making homemade pizza in a toaster oven is far easier than you may have imagined. With a little time and a few simple ingredients, you can craft an irresistible pizza to satisfy your craving. Whether you prefer a classic pepperoni, a vegetarian delight, or a unique concoction of your own, these recipes will guide you to pizza perfection in your toaster oven. Now that you have all the tips and tricks, you have no excuse not to unleash your inner pizza chef. Fire up your toaster oven and enjoy the delight of homemade pizza without the hassle. Your tast buds will thank you.